WHEN: Saturday, August 12, 9 AM-1 PM
WHERE: Faith Lutheran Church, 360 S. Main Street, Andover, MA
CLINICIAN: Griff Gall, artistic director of the Back Bay Ringers
- Introducing new musicians to a handbell ensemble
- How to set up a standard ensemble: review standards like bass-treble placement (set up from the handbell musicians POV, not the director), standard assignments, basic equipment etc.
- Basic ringing techniques, including how to teach the basic ringing technique, reviewing the standard notation guide, and exploring how to musically perform basic stopped techniques, etc.
- Introducing rhythmic reading to new musicians
- Repertoire selection (explaining the level system, thinking about eighth-note pattern difficulty and how to prepare and practice more challenging rhythms, original compositions and how they can be incorporated into sacred spaces etc.)
- Developing musical habits and empowering new musicians to think about musical concepts like melody vs accompaniment, phrasing, dynamics etc.